Zach's Annotation Strategies


I tend to start off my annotations with brackets because they help to block out (a) sentence(s) of the text that stand out to me. Occasionally, I will go back and write a heading of sorts for what I feel that block of text means in reference to the text. I will also jot some question marks in the margins near words that are not familiar to me; after further inquiry the passage containing said word tends to make more sense. Stars or asterisks help me to take notice of what I feel is the author’s main points for his/her argument, it also makes it easy for me to come back and summarize the piece. In this text specifically I used the numbers 1 and 2 to represent first and second order thinking, respectively. They helped me to separate the two ways of thinking, however also it made it easy to find arguments, as well as counterarguments, and made it easy to compare the two ideologies.

After meeting with my classmates I added a couple more annotating methods to my repertoire. I found that summarizing different subtitles or sections of the piece tends to lead to a better understanding. Highlighting can also be a valuable resource, however I tend to steer away from it because I find it messy and minimally distracting. I found out that it would be useful of me to take note of quotes that may be necessary to quote later on.

Comments